Friday, January 20, 2006

Violated.

As a Child and Youth Care Worker, I know how writing about a situation that is stressful can help you work through it and process it. Here it goes:




Yesterday, while we were at work, we were broken into. Our place was completely ransacked, and some valuable and personal items were taken. The police came, and they were very thorough, even getting some good fingerprints. They figure it was a Meth addict looking to get some quick cash.

Well buddy, I know from being a Street Youth Worker in the past that you probably got $20 for my husband's $400 favourite watch, $10 for our DVD player, and maybe $50 for our digital camera. It is not so much that you will not get fair market value for these items that bothers me, but the fact that these items were priceless to us. They were items that were bought with love for us by people in our lives. Sure, I can get a new camera, but it won't be the same, and it won't have the great Christmas memory attached to it of our parents giving it to us (we all had the same cameras).

You have also taken something much more valuable from me. My sense of security and comfort. I keep picturing your disgusting dirty hands touching our things. Every little noise makes me jump and think someone is coming in again. I wonder if you are watching from the bushes to see us leave. I am so anxious, I could not even go to work today. You are depriving the kids on my caseload of support today. These are kids with severe emotional and behavioural backgrounds, some coming from pretty abusive and drug-involved backgrounds. Without support, counselling and guidance, they could grow up to be just like you.

Maybe if you had someone to talk to when you were a kid, things would be different for you. Maybe you had lots of people to talk to, but somehow, things went wrong anyway. Whatever the case, I feel sorry for you.

6 comments:

.letting go said...

oh strawberry, I'm so sorry. This is just awful for you. Prayers from my home to yours girl.

<3 :: nut-meag

Anonymous said...

Tara, I'm sorry to hear such a terrible thing happened to a wonderful person like you. I'm glad that you & hubby are safe and sound though. What could have happened if you were home at the time is a dreadful thought. I hope they catch the person that did this, and that he/she gets the help they need.

Katie said...

Tara, big hugs to you. I know the feeling of having someone else going through your stuff, wrecking it, touching it, etc, is worse that all the stuff they took. I didn't even want my car back after it was stolen, didn't want to sit in it at all.

scrapeahappy said...

Hey so Sorry Tara,

It does feel terrible to have this happen to you. I can completely relate. I remember feeling all the time like the people were still there in the house. I hope writing this blog entry today was some release of feelings for you because it is a difficult thing. If you need to chat some more, I am always a phonecall away.

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey!

I am so sorry that this had to happen to you! Don't let fear control your life, you are a strong women whom can get through this!

You have a wonderful husband there to help you through this time and well hopefully the police will be able to do something!

Keep your head up high!

Denise

Anonymous said...

Been there you guys and I know how vunerable it makes you feel.That is the main reason we have big dogs.We got the Bouvier after we were broken into and our lives threatened.You and Dusten are strong and you will move on with your lives.Maybe you could get bars from the landlord for your windows. It may make you feel safer. I am so sorry and I love you both. MOM xoxoxo PS no one can take those lovely memories from you, at least we all have that.