Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My new found Veganism

Today is my 3rd day as a Vegan. I have to say it feels like a natural fit. I tried Soy yogurt yesterday for the first time and loved it! The brand is So Nice, and it tastes amazing!
I also had my first Soy Latte. I could not tell the difference between that and a regular one made with milk.

My friends and co-workers have been incredibly supportive of my transition. At Starbucks today, my friend Julia offered to split a Vegan brownie with me. The teachers are hosting a special lunch for us on Friday to thank us for our support during the strike, and a teacher (and friend) asked me what I can and cannot eat to make sure I had a good lunch too. A lot of my friends and co-workers have been asking a lot of questions too. They have been intelligent, educational and supportive questions. I appreciate having these people in my life. A lot of veggies are made to feel like freaks for their choices (Oh my god, you are a VEGETARIAN?????? What do you eat?????)

My parents have always been very supportive as well. From the time I was a teenager and meat grossed me out, my mom has always gone out of her way to alter recipes and cook extra veggies for me. She even makes me vegetarian stuffing and gravy during the holidays. My dad tries my vegan baking (even though it is a huge stretch for him....I truly appreciate the effort. He is not one for "eating outside the box" and trying new things. What a guy.

And of course my hubby, who I seriously drive around the bend when we have to choose a place to eat. I don't know how many places we have walked out of because there is nothing I can eat. And, I am so proud of him for no longer eating at McDonald's. When I met him, he ate there at least 5 times a week. And vegetables are no longer a garnish for him, he actually eats them!

I guess I just want to say thanks to everyone for always including me, and not excluding me because of my choices. I know they are my own personal choices, but the support is wonderful!


3 comments:

Danea Burleson said...

WHAT? You're a veggiterian? What do you eat, rabbit food?

Ok seriously, I am just curious about why you are making the switch to vegan? I thought you loved cheeses? I'm glad to hear that everyone is being so supportive. It's very common here in Cali and there are often many ietems on menus, not to mention lots of stores that cater. Maybe you should come and visit? ;)

.letting go said...

hey, I'm nut-meag from the ww boards. So Nice is a great brand, try Silk too, it's flippin great, especially in hot drinks, lattes, chai etc.

the leap from veg to vegan shouldn't be too hard for me. Aside from the fact that I like the taste of dairy... But many of my friends are veg and a considerable number are vegan. They'll help me transition! hehehehe, veg high five.

strawberrygirl said...

Danea, you know I would love to come and visit:) Maybe this summer, or during Spring Break. You could show me all your cool Veggie hang-outs:)

Meag, nice to see you, hope you hop on our Vixens thread, we're a really friendly bunch, and we learn so much from each other!